POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Request: new simple pattern : Re: Request: new simple pattern Server Time
8 Aug 2024 18:15:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Request: new simple pattern
From: Ken
Date: 12 Jan 2001 23:02:30
Message: <3A5FD39A.10B10F70@pacbell.net>
Warp wrote:

> Ken <tyl### [at] pacbellnet> wrote:
> : I concluded I have absolutely no idea what it does, how to use it,
>
>   So if you have a builtin pattern and you only know its name, you'll
> immediately know how to use it and what does it do?
>   What's the difference?

What I am saying is I don't have to look at the code to understand
how to use a pattern. I know how to use the granite pattern with
complete confidence yet I know absolutely nothing about noise
functions. I don't need to. Additionally a hard coded pattern
can be used with ease not only in pigments but also normals,
texture maps, and pigment maps. The use of a macro complicates
this process. Can you define a normal pattern with a macro ?
I don't recall that being possible. Even if it is possible is
it as easy as it is with a built in pattern ?